Friday, August 13, 2010

Lemon Loaf.. and some other stuff


Many people reading this blog probably realize something.. i have an eating disorder.. yup. It sucks but I'm finally, finally getting help. And i feel really good about it too. I've refused help for so long but now I'm finally accepting it. It's this out patient place and when i went there, i honestly didn't think it was that bad, but i was very wrong. Eating under 500 calories a day is really bad for you and they almost wanted to put me in inpatient hospital care. But after i left, i realized something. I don't want to eat under 500 calories a day anymore. It's not enjoyable, or fun and I'm getting way too thin. I want to eat the foods that i used to eat, and love (like this lemon loaf). I like food. Not the eating disorder. So I'm starting another blog, about my recovery. Read it, if you want. Or just read my recipes and reviews.
Lemon Loaf Recipe:
from Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
Ingredients:
1 medium lemon
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. From lemon, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 4 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice. Set aside and great 9 x 5 loaf pan.
In large bowl with fork, mix flour, baking powder, salt and 2/3 cups sugar. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in peel.
In small bowl with fork, beat eggs slightly and stir in milk; then stir this mixture into flour mixture until flour is moistened.
Spoon into pan. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
In 1 quart saucepan over medium high heat, heat lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar to boiling. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. With pastry rush, brush sugar mixture evenly over top of bread. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment